IMPORT OF HAZARDOUS CHEMICALS
In accordance with the provisions of Rule 18 of the Manufacture, Storage and Import of Hazardous Chemicals Rules, 1989 and its amendments made thereafter, the following procedure will be followed for the import of hazardous chemicals listed in the Rules :
- The importer must submit prior intimation of the import of hazardous chemicals to the West Bengal Pollution Control Board before 30 days or as reasonably possible but not later than the date of import. This information shall include :-
- The name and address of the person receiving the consignment
- Port of entry in India
- Mode of transport from the exporting country to India
- Quantity of chemical(s) being imported
- Complete product safety data sheet
If the West Bengal Pollution Control Board is of the opinion that the chemical being imported is likely to cause a major accident, it may direct the importer to take such safety measures as the Board may deem appropriate. In case the Board is of the opinion that the chemical should not be imported on safety or on environmental ground, the Board will issue direction to stop the import.
The Board shall simultaneously inform the Port Authority to take appropriate steps regarding the safe handling and storage of the hazardous chemicals within the Port premises.